Sounds deafen the ear.
Flavors numb the taste.
Thoughts weaken the mind.
Desires wither the heart.

The Master observes the world
but trusts his inner vision.
He allows things to come and go.
His heart is as open as the sky."

A man said to the Bard, "I have a large tree which no carpenter will cut into lumber. It's Branches and trunk are crooked and tough, covered with bumps and depressions. No builder would turn his head to look at it. Your teaching is the same as the tree-useless, without value. Therefore no one (no not you No One) pays attention to them."

"As you know," replied the Bard, "a cat is very skilled at capturing its prey. Crouching low, it can leap in any direction, pursuing whatever it is after. Yet when its attention is focused on such things, it can easily be caught with a net. On the other hand, A huge yak is not easily caught or overcome. It stands like a stone, or a cloud in the sky. Still, for all its strength, it cannot catch a mouse.

You complain that your tree is not valuable as lumber. But you could make use of the shade it provides, rest under its sheltering branches, and stroll beneath it, admiring its charecter and appearance. Since it is not endangered by an axe, what could threaten its existence? It is useless to you because you only wish to make it into something else and do not recognize its true form or use it in its proper way."

(Lao tse. from the Tao Te Ching.)
(borrowed and adapted from the writings of Chuang-Tse).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calyx of Isis
Dojo Mistress
Dojo Mistress

PostSubject: Re: A Song of the Way   Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 am

Oooo that is so perfect, dear heart. What a wonderful start to this thread. Now I will have to get out mu copies of the Art of War and reply with some Sun Tzu! Too, there are the Native American wisdom I work with and many appropriate teachings.

Bard you are, for you have inspired me.

From the Lakhota language meaning all my relations. This thought concept is common to all aboriginal people of Turtle Island (North America). It acknowledges that everything Creator made, even that which (to modern eyes) appears dead or inanimate, is sentient, conscious, and capable of communicating with us. When we utter this phrase we are acknowledging our connection to the listener/reader and to all of creation. We are all related as family, as blood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A Song of the Way
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1